Friday, June 18, 2010

My new best chicken salad

We have roast chicken at least once a week. One thigh for me, a drumstick for my three year old and the other thigh, drumstick and wings for my husband. The breasts are always saved for tomorrows salad.

I love a healthy lunch. I only have 30 minutes lunch - so I take 10 minutes to prep a salad, 15 minutes to sit and enjoy (never stand and eat!) and 5 minutes for a cappuccino.

Never overdo a salad - six ingredients will do the trick. When I'm really starving, I might add a slice of rye or ciabatta toast.

My new best winter salad, is a avo and pineapple chicken salad - call it a tropical chicken salad if you wish - here goes:


Toss together:
1 avocado pear - cubed
1/3 of a pineapple - sliced
half a red onion - thinly sliced
1/4 of a cucumber - halved and sliced
1 roast chicken breast shredded
1/2 a red pepper - sliced

Add some mixed leaves if you wish, but no need. Drizzle with my best dressing. I got this recipe from a colleague and friend years ago and since then I always have it in my fridge. Do make the full quantity - you will love it:

Salad dressing:
250ml light olive oil or pure sunflower oil
125ml apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated onion
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
Blend together. It will seperate on standing - just give it a shake before use.

No comments:

Cake Knife