Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Quick and Easy Chocolate Cake

I wanted to make a chocolate cake tonight, but ran into a serious shortage of ingredients: firstly, no eggs, seeing that my son eats two eggs on average a day! Secondly, no butter, no cream and also no chocolate.  So I had to turn to an old trusted recipe, maybe not the best chocolate cake ever, but dead easy and quick to make, and it has a lovely, moist texture.  Because of said shortages, ganache was not an option, nor the classic butter icing, so I used some Philadelphia cream cheese instead of butter plus some icing sugar, cocoa, vanilla and plain yogurt and made quite a nice icing.  Unfortunately I won't be able to share that recipe, seeing that I just followed my taste buds!

But, here is the eggless chocolate cake recipe, so easy, a child can make it.  It will fill one oven tray or two 25cm round cake tins.

Sift together:
3 cups of flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/3 a cup of cocoa
a pinch of salt

Whisk together:
2 cups boiling water
1 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/5 cup of vinegar

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined.  Pour into a oven tray and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.  Cool and top with your favorite icing.

No comments:

Cake Knife