Sunday, November 21, 2010

Perfect Roast Chicken and Haricot Bean salad

Although I am usually the one to cook in our household, there is one thing that I always entrust to my husband - Weber roast peri-peri chicken.  The whole family agrees that he does the best roast chicken and even put in their requests, as soon as they are planning a visit. 

I do not know the exact quantities for the basting sauce, but from watching I reckon the following will do: start with about 1/3 a cup of olive oil, to which you add 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon per-peri (or more to taste) and season with salt and pepper.  Brush one large free range chicken liberally with the basting sauce and set aside.

Build an indirect fire in a Weber and allow it to burn down for approximately 20 minutes until there is a layer of grey ash on the coal.  Place a drip tray under the grill and place the chicken on the grill.  Close the lid and cook for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.  Remove and cover with foil (shiny side inside) and rest the chicken for 10 minutes before carving. 

Haricot Bean salad.

I wanted a "deli look" in my kitchen and bought quite a lot of beautiful tins of Haricot Beans to display on one of the shelves.  Seeing that I also love all kinds of beans I started experimenting with the beans, and at the moment this salad is one of my favorites.  My cider vinegar salad dressing is an essential ingredient - so make sure you have some stock in the fridge!

1 tin white haricot beans
1 large red onion - finely diced
1 yellow pepper - finely diced
a handful of Calamata olives, pitted and roughly chopped
250g Baby Rosa tomatoes
lots of freshly chopped Italian Parsley

Combine the beans, onion, peppers and olives in a bowl and drizzle liberally with salad dressing.  Leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or even overnight.  Just before serving, half the tomatoes and add with the parsley to the beans.  Season with lots of black pepper.


No comments:

Cake Knife